Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Apartment ? Or Hotel ?

Back  to main page
One thought constantly nagging me was, Am I going to check-in in a hotel already booked in Paris ? Or can I move to the apartment which I have only verbally booked one week back ?
And naturally I wanted to move in the apartment !

1. My Relocation agency was dealing with the apartment owner, and she was diplomatically not giving me the right information till the last day.
2. She could not confirm the apartment to me, because as per the French system I had not paid the 2 months rent as Security deposit and the first month Rent.
3. I wanted to pay the Security deposit and the Rent, but I could not, as I can only do that via a French bank account check. And you cannot have a French bank account until you are employed in France.
4. I could not talk to the apartment owner as they don’t speak English and I don’t speak French yet.
5. The French law is very Renter friendly. So if I move to the apartment and don’t pay the rent, the owner cannot just push me out !
6. For the owner it was a very good deal as I accepted to pay the rent 2 days prior to my landing in Paris. And I accepted to pay a higher rent without any negotiation.
7. My Relocation agency had a fear, that I might not accept this apartment if the move is delayed. This is because the rent was higher than market. I could have got a bigger and less costly apartment if I insisted on hunting further.
8. I liked this apartment, as it is walking distance to my office and my son’s school and a grocery store, and it’s a furnished one, satisfying all the criteria I had.
9. And the last point, from my Relocation agency’s perspective my deal was one of the most easy deals, as I accepted the apartment in 10 mins visit, and did not negotiate on rent.

So there were three parties, with their risks and interests(less labour, more returns), and each not knowing the other well.
Dealing in foreign  language for me and them, new rules for me, clear differences in culture for all… Distrust is the easiest option….

Picture above : My son at the airport...


After my arrival at Paris airport, I called the Relocation agency (for the last time) if I am coming to the apartment or going to the hotel (read it as the deal is lost)…

Due to the past, “not so good experience” with my Relocation agency I wanted to really confirm if she will be there at the apartment with the keys. As it’s not possible to wait outside a digitally secured apartment, with 200 kg luggage, and a family with a kid when its 2 degrees centigrade outside.

And yes I was clearly not interested in checking-in the hotel, unpacking the stuff, then packing and again moving to the apartment after few hours or few days.

The Relocation agency got a hint of my mindset, and the required urgency in deciding.
On the positive note she could also sense the sincerity in my voice…
She told she will get back in 30 secs. After a quick conversation with the owner, she confirmed.  she will be there at the apartment with the owner.

I reached and got my wife and kid inside the warm apartment. And with the help of the taxi driver and owner of the apartment, we got the 200 kgs luggage in the apartment.

And then it was time to sign the lease. I just signed it. I could not read even if I wanted as the lease was in French. It was definitely trust developing between strangers, after meeting and talking to each other….

Then, I rushed to the back to get my check book. (My French bank account process had started a week back and luckily my checkbook had arrived in the bank). There was no Euros in the account yet. I withdrew close to a Eur 1000 via a Forex card, and gave two checks with a promise that it will not bounce if they deposit in 3 days…

So I was in the apartment after 2-3 hours of running around, newly built trust, some cash Euros, and two checks with no Euros in the account yet…

This was a big milestone for me… and the first one achieved… It was interesting that I had bent the rules to get to my apartment… The only factor which was overriding all was the trust on each other…
Back to main page

No comments: